Preventing Periodontitis – It’s Easier than You Think
Plaque is a sticky, bacteria-laden film that forms inside your mouth after you eat or drink. Gum disease or periodontal disease occurs when the bacteria present in plaque accumulates between your teeth and gums. As it grows, your gums react to it and become inflamed. This early form of gum disease is called gingivitis. If you don’t address the problem, your gums and supporting bone tissues will begin to deteriorate. At this stage, the disease is known as periodontitis, and without aggressive treatment, it can lead to tooth loss. Losing your teeth is not the only problem; research shows that periodontal disease is also linked to medical problems like diabetes and heart disease. Fortunately, gingivitis and periodontitis are avoidable. Here are a few tips to help you avoid them.
How to Prevent Gum Disease in 5 Easy Steps
- When possible, brush your teeth after each meal. If this is not an option, brush at least twice per day. Brushing after eating removes food particles and plaque that become trapped between your teeth and in the crevices of chewing surfaces. Be sure to brush your tongue as well; its surface is a great place for bacteria to hide.
- Clean between your teeth using dental floss at least once every day. Your toothbrush can’t reach all of the plaque and food debris trapped between your teeth and along your gum line.
- Use mouthwash after brushing and flossing to kill germ and remove even more plaque and stray food particles.
- Be aware of your risk factors for periodontal disease. These include tobacco use, age, poor diet, and genetic tendencies. While you can’t eliminate all risk, you can reduce your chances of developing gum disease by living a healthier lifestyle. Discuss your risk factors with your dentist or periodontist.
- Ask your dentist or periodontist to perform a comprehensive periodontal evaluation every year. This advanced examination inspects your teeth, gums, bone structure, and plaque levels for identifiable risk factors and early signs of infection and inflammation. Early intervention can prevent mild gingivitis from progressing to periodontitis and eventual tooth loss.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Orlando, call Advanced Dental Care at RDV Sportsplex today at (321) 594-2624 or make an appointment.
Advanced Dental Care offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Orlando. With 21 affiliated practices throughout Florida, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Advanced Dental Care at RDV Sportsplex, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Advanced Dental Care at RDV Sportsplex.