A Dental Guide for Choosing to Use Teeth Implants or Dentures
If you need to replace missing teeth but are unsure of whether teeth implants or dentures are the best choice for you, use this helpful guide to help you make the right decision.
Straight Talk about Teeth Implants
Dental implants are tiny titanium posts that are surgically embedded into the jawbone to replace the roots of teeth. The implant soon bonds to the jawbone to create a strong, stable foundation to attach a replacement tooth or teeth. Implants dentistry has become extremely popular because it offers so many benefits, such as:
- The look, feel, and function of natural teeth
- Preserving the jawbone
- Preventing gum tissue from diminishing, which reduces the risk of losing additional teeth
- Easy to maintain with regular brushing, flossing, and professional dental care
- They won’t slip, slide, or shift since they’re permanently positioned in place
- Comfortable eating and chewing, which allows for proper nutrition
- Helps keep adjacent teeth from moving over time
- Long-lasting, with many still strong after more than 20 years
The Deal on Dentures
Dentures are removable dental appliances that are used to replace missing teeth and some gum tissue. If you opt for complete or full dentures, they will replace all of the teeth in the upper jaw, the lower jaw, or in both jaws. But partial dentures will only replace a small section of teeth while your others will remain. While dentures have been used for decades, the rise of implants dentistry has diminished their use for the following reasons:
- They are less natural-looking than teeth implants
- They must be regularly removed and cleaned
- They need to be left out of the mouth overnight
- They are prone to slipping
- It takes time to get comfortable eating and speaking with them
- They can limit the foods that can be eaten, impeding healthy nutrition
- They are very fragile and prone to breaking
- They must be replaced every three to six years
Final Factors to Consider
It’s easy to see why teeth implants may be more desirable than dentures, but there are other things to consider before making your final choice. If cost is a concern, dentures are the less costly treatment, but they don’t offer as many advantages. Luckily, it’s possible to get affordable dental implants because many dentists offer special financing to provide patients with more affordable dental implants. Other factors in your decision should be your health history, current health, case complexity, personal preference, and your dentist’s recommendation.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Orlando, call Advanced Dental Care at RDV Sportsplex today at (321) 594-2624 or make an appointment.
Advanced Dental Care offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Orlando. With 20 affiliated practices throughout Florida, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Advanced Dental Care at RDV Sportsplex, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Advanced Dental Care at RDV Sportsplex.