Wise Words about Wisdom Teeth Removal
Are you worried about having your wisdom teeth taken out? You can ease your mind, your nerves, and your pain with this insight on what you need to know about wisdom teeth removal.
The Impact of Impacted Wisdom Teeth
Wisdom teeth are another name for your third molars, which are typically the last teeth to emerge—or may never appear at all. If the teeth get trapped within the gums, they’re considered impacted wisdom teeth, which may cause major dental pain and problems, and must be removed. Today, wisdom teeth removal is a common outpatient procedure that offers quick relief for wisdom teeth pain. It’s performed by your dentist or an oral surgeon, who will give you instructions about what to do to both before the procedure and on the actual day of wisdom teeth removal. These include certain preparation guidelines, the time to arrive at the clinic, the need for transportation, and medication directions.
What to Expect during the Extraction
If you are concerned about the procedure itself being painful, you can cross that worry off your list. You will be administered anesthesia, which at the least should numb the area, and may even make you unconscious for the surgery, depending on what is called for by the complexity of your procedure. Then, you can just sit back, relax, and let the dentist perform the following steps to relieve your wisdom teeth pain:
- Cut an incision in the gum to expose the tooth and bone.
- Remove any part of the bone that makes it difficult to reach the impacted wisdom teeth.
- Take out the painful wisdom teeth.
- Completely clean the area to eliminate any debris from the tooth or the bone.
- Stitch the wound closed to promote proper healing.
- Place gauze over the site of extraction to reduce bleeding and allow a protective blood clot to form.
After the anesthesia wears off, you will be sent home to heal. Recovery can be speedy and simple, as long as you follow your dentist’s advice along with these trusted tips:
- Rest for the remainder of the day, but you can resume normal activities the very next day as long as you avoid anything that could hurt the site of surgery.
- Drink plenty of water after wisdom teeth removal, but avoid any carbonated, caffeinated, alcoholic, or hot beverages for 24 hours.
- Do not drink with a straw for a week after your surgery.
- Eat only soft foods for the first 24 hours, but add in firmer options as you feel comfortable.
- Relieve wisdom teeth pain with an over-the-counter or prescription medication recommended by your dentist.
- Change the gauze over the wound as directed by your dentist.
- Use an ice pack to reduce any swelling or bruising, which should subside in a few days.
- Do not brush your teeth, rinse your mouth, or spit during the first 24 hours after wisdom teeth removal.
- The next day and the following week, gently rinse your mouth with warm salt water every few hours and after meals to prevent infection.
- After the first 24 hours, start carefully brushing your teeth but take care not to disturb any stitches.
To get the dental care you deserve from an affordable dentist in Orlando, call Advanced Dental Care at RDV Sportsplex today at (321) 594-2624 or make an appointment.
Advanced Dental Care offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Orlando. With 21 affiliated practices throughout Florida, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Advanced Dental Care at RDV Sportsplex, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Advanced Dental Care at RDV Sportsplex.