Dealing with a Dental Emergency Until You Can Get Help
When an injury to your teeth, gums, or other parts of your mouth occurs, it’s important to get help fast. Although severe pain, visible damage, and bleeding are not always present in a dental emergency, ignoring the injury or waiting to see what happens wastes valuable time, and it may result in tooth loss or infection of your oral tissues, which could spread and cause serious illness. Emergency dental care may be available through your family dentist. If your own dentist in Orlando is not available, visit a local emergency dental clinic or hospital emergency room. Here are a few helpful tips for dealing with dental emergencies until you can obtain medical help.
- Severe Toothache: Rinse your mouth with warm tap water and use dental floss to remove any food trapped between teeth. If pain persists, or you develop a fever, call your dentist. Never place aspirin on the tooth or gum.
- Knocked-Out Permanent Tooth: Rinse the tooth gently to clean it, but do not scrub it. Unless the tooth belongs to a small child or a person who may become unconscious, attempt to store it inside the mouth so that saliva will help preserve it and keep it moist. If this is not possible, store the tooth in a cup of milk and obtain emergency care within two hours for the best chance of saving the tooth.
- Broken/Fractured Tooth: Rinse your mouth with plain water, and place a cold compress against your face to reduce swelling in the injured area. Find and save any tooth fragments, and see your dentist in Orlando immediately. Untreated broken or fractured teeth can result in long-term dental issues.
- Loose Permanent Tooth: If the tooth only moves slightly, gently press it back into alignment, and hold it in place with moistened gauze. Don’t force the tooth into its socket. Try to obtain medical attention within 30 minutes of the injury.
- Severe Lip, Tongue, or Cheek Bites: Gently wipe the wound with a clean, moistened cloth. To ease swelling or bleeding, apply cold compresses. If bleeding is severe or does not stop within 15 minutes, visit a hospital emergency room immediately.
To learn about our family dentistry practice in Orlando, call Advanced Dental Care at RDV Sportsplex today at (321) 594-2624 or make an appointment.
Advanced Dental Care offers affordable family dentistry and gentle, compassionate dental care in Orlando. With 21 affiliated practices throughout Florida, our offices are conveniently located with extended hours to meet your needs. At Advanced Dental Care at RDV Sportsplex, we provide most dental services, from basic preventative care and general dentistry to specialized procedures and complete dental reconstruction. We accept most dental insurance plans and offer affordable financial solutions for any budget. Patient satisfaction is our top priority and we strive to provide the exceptional, affordable dental care and personal touch that lead to lasting relationships. A smiling patient is our greatest reward and we look forward to keeping those smiles healthy, beautiful, and bright. Discover an affordable dentist who truly cares at Advanced Dental Care at RDV Sportsplex.